Resident Permit Procedure For International Students


To study at the Ghana Communication Technology University, the prospective student must first have an offer of admission from the University. International Students are required by laws of Ghana to obtain a resident permit to enable a peaceful stay throughout the length of their study.

Upon arrival in Ghana, International Students are advised to visit the Office of International Affairs (OIA) to apply for their residence permits with the following:

Requirement by the Ghana Immigration Service for Residence Permit

  • A valid passport (6 months valid at least) 
  • A photocopy of your admission letter
  • A photocopy of your Non-Citizen Card (Cost of the Non-Citizen card $120.00 or the Cedi equivalent) 
  • A photocopy of your current tuition fees receipt
  • A photocopy of the data page of your passport
  • 3 passport pictures
  • Application for introductory letter
  • Payment receipt for introductory letter
  • Ghana Immigration processing fee for ECOWAS countries- GH¢ 150.00 
  • Ghana Immigration processing fee for Non ECOWAS Countries- GH¢ 200.00


Please note that it takes between two (2) weeks and one month for your permit to be processed.

  • Penalty to pay for expired permit

When you are entering Ghana, whether through the airport or any of our borders, your passport is normally stamped by immigration officers and certain number of days given to you to exit the country. If for any reason, you exceed the number of days given to you, you will pay the following fine to the Ghana Immigration Services:

  •  ECOWAS Countries: GH¢ 60.00 per month (if you hold previous residence permit)

GHȻ 80.00 per month (if you have never done a residence permit)

  •  Non ECOWAS Countries: GH¢ 80.00 per month (if u hold a previous residence permit)

GH¢100.00 per month (if you have never done a residence permit)




 NoteThe Non –Citizen Card is a mandatory requirement from the Government of Ghana. The Non-Citizen Ghana card shall be used for all transactions that require identification. Foreign nationals who do not have the Non-Citizen card will not be allowed to apply for their Residence Permit, register SIM cards for telephones, open bank accounts, acquire driver’s license or even have access to other essential services in the country. The Non-Citizen Card costs $120.00 or its Ghana Cedi equivalent.

This card can be acquired instantly at any CAL Bank Branch in Ghana or at the National Identification Authority Head office at Tetteh Quarshie near the Gulf House.


For more information, contact the Office of International Affairs on the Main Campus on the following numbers: +233(0) 540314260 / +233 (0) 202625775

* All amounts stated above are subject to change.

Important Note: Your passport is the most valuable document when you arrive in Ghana. You must keep your passport in a safe place to avoid losing it. Students are advised to make photocopies of the most important pages of their passports and store them in a different secure place. On arrival in Ghana, all International Students must register with their respective Embassies/High Commissions at their earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Signed: Coordinator, (Office of International Affairs)