FAQs for PhD
|What Doctoral programmes is GCTU running?|
We currently have Collaboration with 3 Institutions viz:
a) CASS, Europe
• PhD in Healthcare Management
• PhD in Business Administration (targeted at academicians)
• Doctor of Business Administration (targeted/designed for corporate/industrialist)
• PhD in ICT Management
|b) Aalborg University, Denmark|
|• PhD in Information Communication Technology (ICT)
• PhD in Telecommunication Engineering
|c) M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, India.|
|•Faculty of Engineering & Technology
• Civil Engineering Electrical & Electronics Engineering,
• Computer Science,
• Manufacturing &
• Material ScienceFaculty of Science
• PhD in Chemical,
• Mathematics, PhysicsFaculty of Pharmacy
• Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance,
• Pharmaceutical Technology,
• Pharmaceutical• Faculty of Dental Sciences
• Oral Medicine and Radiology,
• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,
• Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics,
• Orthodontics and Dentofacial,
• Oral Pathology and Microbiology,
• Crown and Bridge,
• Public Health Dentistry,
• Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
• Faculty of Management and Commerce
PhD in:• Operations Management,
• Human Resource Management,
• Marketing• Faculty of Art Design
• Product Design,
• Fashion Design
|2. What is the duration for the programme?|
|• CASS – 3 years
• MSRUAS – 4 years
• Aalborg – 3 years
|3. What are the structures of the programme?|
|• CASS – Coursework; Workshops/Seminars; Research Work leading to the PhD Theses
• MSRUAS – Progress Reviews on Proposals & Research; Research Work leading to the PhD Theses
• Aalborg– Coursework; Workshops/Seminars; Research Work leading to the PhD Theses
|4. Where will lectures take place?|
|• CASS – 100% at GTUC (by expert faculty and fly-in faculty)
• MSRUAS – Requires at least two week visit to India during the course of the programme otherwise every part of the programme will be in Ghana through GCTU
• Aalborg– 100% in Aalborg, Denmark
|5. Which institution awards the certificate?|
|The award is by the collaborating University.|
|6. Will l find GCTU written on my certificate after completion?|
|No. It is purely an international Certificate from the collaborating Institution. However, on the transcript, it will be indicated that you studied at GTUC|
|7. How many Intakes do you do in a year?|
|Currently, there are two (2) major intakes in a year: January and September.
Intake Admission Start Admission End
January September November/December
September May July
Students have the privilege to buy and submit application forms any time within the year. The forms would be processed for the next available intake unless option for intake is expressly indicated in the application form by the applicant.
|8. What is the qualification for admission?|
|A candidate seeking admission to the Ph.D. Programme should have obtained at least a Merit in a Master’s Degree in the subject area of research he/she intends to pursue. In addition, the candidate will also be required to secure the minimum, stipulated score in a written test and/or interview that may be specified by the Graduate School in consultation with the collaborating Institution.
Applicants possessing a Master’s degree in a field of study not directly related to the programme may be required to take additional preparatory courses.
|9. What Payment Options exist?|
|• Full payment may be made for all three/four years or on yearly basis.
• Yearly payment could also be spread (only with the express permission of the school) as follows:40% on admission, and then the rest of the fee is paid in two installments in the 4th and 7th months of study.
|10. What is the application procedure?|
|Submit a completed application form with all required attachments either in person, through the post or through any of our campuses to the Accra Campus.
Your completed application form must have the following attachments:
• Certified true copies of certificates and any other academic records.
• Two recent passport-sized photographs one of which should be affixed to the form.
• Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
• Research proposal of an appropriate standard (10-15 pages maximum; double spacing; see guide on pages 9 &10 of application form)
• Copies of publications or research materials, if any.
• Curriculum Vitae
• 2 Completed Reference forms with recommendation letters (make a copy of reference form for second referee)
• A non-refundable application fee of ¢110.00 is required to process an application. The application fee may be paid by money order or banker’s draft.
|11. What is the admission procedure like?|
|The admission team reviews all applications. Shortlisted applicants are invited for an admission interview, depending on the admission schedule for each intake. Note that incomplete applications are not processed.|
|12. Why should I enroll in a programme?|
|• PhD Scholars receive latest research education that propels them for academic careers.
• PhD programmes are taught by first class faculty in a conducive study environment mostly on weekends.
• Programmes are split site and well-resourced.
• Structure of the programmes are flexible and convenient for busy schedule applicants.
• Both Collaborators and GCTU are committed to Scholars with passion for originality of thoughts and intellectual curiosity.
• GTUC and its collaborating partners support research needs of students with PhD conferences, publication, overseas visits, fieldwork and access to online library.
• Duration for programmes are comparatively shorter than most institutions in the country.
• Highly resourced (internet access, journals, and access to collaborating institutions resource, Supervisors with expert knowledge in wide range of areas (both technical and non-technical etc.)
• International certificate
• State of the art lecture theatres
For further information, please contact:
Doctoral Education Unit
Ghana Communication Technology University